Falcon 500 Powered by Talon FX
NOTE: There is a known issue where Falcon 500 motors may not have adequate loctite applied to the shaft retention screws.
See the blog post with a message from VEX.
The Falcon 500 powered by Talon FX is a brushless motor with an integrated motor controller and high-resolution encoder, custom designed specifically for the FIRST Robotics Competition, through a collaboration between Cross the Road Electronics and VEX Robotics.
The Talon FX gives teams features they've come to expect from a Talon motor controller, such as...
- Follower Mode
- Limit switch feedback and auto-neutral
- On-board motion control using Motion Magic, allowing the streaming of trajectory points of a motion profile into the Talon. This ensures accurate timing between trajectory points
- Phoenix API compatibility
- Phoenix Tuner support (Set Name, Device ID, Field-upgrade, Plot, Self-test, etc.)
- LED indicators blinking proportionately to output speed for easier debugging
- CAN bus or PWM control automatically detected over the same wires (pioneering feature of CTR-Electronics controllers)
- Brake configuration via Brake/Coast button
- PWM Calibration thru Brake/Coast button
- Integrated PID control
- Velocity measurement with user-configurable filter
- Voltage compensation
- Current limiting
- Robust bootloader and reliable field-upgrade (no physical button required, no “stuck states” that
requires user intervention)
- Users can download software API binaries on our reliable Maven server (99.9% reliability)
- Hardware Simulation Support
On top of these classic features, we have a host of new ones to complement our new integrated brushless system
- A motor and motor controller assembly all in one product
- Integrated 2048 CPR magnetic encoder
- Reverse polarity protection (fewer costly wiring mistakes)
- Trapezoidal commutation
- CIM/Mini-CIM hole compatibility (2" Hole Pattern)
- Interchangeable, keyless, spline shafts (2 different lengths)
- Independent limits for supply current and stator current
- Full aluminum case with cooling port
- CAN FD Compatible and is supported by CANivore.
Some Falcons may not have had Loctite properly applied to the shaft retaining screws. To be safe, we recommend that teams open up them up and reapply Loctite 243 to all the shaft retention screws.
|Kit Contents|| Falcon 500 with Integrated Talon FX, Shaft Spacers,
Power, Ground, Output, CAN cables come pre-attached
|Material Type||Cast Aluminum|
|Material Finish||Black Anodized for superior performance & heat dissipation.|
|Dimensions||60mm (2.36”) Dia. X 81mm (3.18”) Long|
|Supported Communication Protocols||PWM, CAN|
|Direct Limit Switch Input||Yes|
|PWM Input Pulse (high time)||1 - 2 ms nominal|
|PWM Input Rate (period)||2.9 - 100 ms|
|PWM Output Chop Rate (Switching Frequency)||15 kHz (dependent on output mode)|
|Minimum Throttle (Deadband)||Adjustable 0.1%-25%|
|Free Speed RPM/Current||6380 RPM/1.5A|
|Power @ 40A/12VDC||400W Output (83% efficiency)|
|Peak Efficiency||256W Output (87% efficiency)|
|Built-In Encoder Feedback||2048 CPR Mag Encoder|