Falcon 500 Powered by Talon FX
The Falcon 500, powered by Talon FX, is a brushless motor with an integrated controller co-developed through a collaborative partnership between VEX Robotics and Cross the Road Electronics.
The Falcon 500 powered by Talon FX is a brushless motor with an integrated motor controller and encoder, custom designed specifically for the FIRST Robotics Competition, through a collaboration between Cross the Road Electronics and VEX Robotics.
The Talon FX gives teams features they've come to expect from a Talon motor controller, such as...
- Follow Mode
- Limit switch feedback
- On-board motion control using Motion Magic, allowing the streaming of trajectory points of a motion profile into the Talon. This ensures accurate timing between trajectory points
- Phoenix API compatibility
- LED indicators blinking proportionately to output speed for easier debugging
- CAN and PWM communication protocols
- "Brake / Coast Calibration"
- Integrated PID control
On top of these classic features, we have a host of new ones to complement our new integrated brushless system
- A motor and motor controller assembly all in one product
- Integrated 2048 CPR magnetic encoder
- Reverse polarity protection (fewer costly wiring mistakes)
- Trapezoidal commutation
- CIM/Mini-CIM hole compatibility (2" Hole Pattern)
- Interchangeable, keyless, spline shafts (2 different lengths)
- Full aluminum case with cooling port
We've found that some Falcons built during the first year (date code beginning in 19 or 200) may not have had Loctite properly applied to the shaft retaining screws. To be safe, we recommend that teams with first year motors open up them up and reapply Loctite 243 to all the shaft retention screws.
|Kit Contents|| Falcon 500 with Integrated Talon FX, Shaft Spacers,
Power, Ground, Output, CAN cables come pre-attached
|Material Type||Cast Aluminum|
|Material Finish||Black Anodized for superior performance & heat dissipation.|
|Dimensions||60mm (2.36”) Dia. X 81mm (3.18”) Long|
|Supported Communication Protocols||PWM, CAN|
|Direct Limit Switch Input||Yes|
|PWM Input Pulse (high time)||1 - 2 ms nominal|
|PWM Input Rate (period)||2.9 - 100 ms|
|PWM Output Chop Rate (Switching Frequency)||15 kHz (dependent on output mode)|
|Minimum Throttle (Deadband)||Adjustable 0.1%-25%|
|Free Speed RPM/Current||6380 RPM/1.5A|
|Power @ 40A/12VDC||400W Output (83% efficiency)|
|Peak Efficiency||256W Output (87% efficiency)|
|Built-In Encoder Feedback||2048 CPR Mag Encoder|